YES, ALL MEN WILL DIE



YES, ALL MEN WILL DIE
(In memory of my late ‘sweet’ mum)

When my mother died, people said, ‘…your mother has gone to fight for you…’ I heard much of this amid tears. Today, I still hear the voices reverberating. I believe!
While the remains of my mother was being lowered into the grave and everybody (family members) had moved closer to the tomb,  I remained on my seat right at the front where they made for the family members. I was not still shouting down heaven and asking God “why?” I was just there, like a doll placed on that plastic chair. I did not move or speak, until two people held my hands and said something almost in a whisper, “bia ka iwunyere mama aja.” Reality had dawned. Mama was already in the grave. It was time to pay my last respect. It is traditional. A man scooped deep-brown sand with the shovel and handed to me. “Ngwa…,” he said. With my hands shaky, I let the sand drop on mama’s coffin three times before tears clouded my face, and again those two hands led me away back to my seat. “Ozugo! Ozugo!! eh, it’s ok,” I heard their voices almost uniformly, echoing in my head.
So while mama was being covered, I considered what could have killed my strong, ‘sweet’ mother. Then, I remembered an article my friend, Izuchukwu Okeke wrote about Chinua Achebe when the world literary icon died. I remembered particularly the title – “Like Achebe, All Things Will Die.” This is not in any way to compare my late mother with the late literary ace. It just reminds me that death awaits all men. Even though the death of my mother was like a kick in the teeth, I never had the presumption that some person was responsible. But people have made several suggestive statements in that line. If truly someone killed my mother, let it be. What can I say, but to borrow from my friend and say that like my mother, all men will die.
When I was still a kid, I use to hear my father say that one does not have preference among his children. He said children were equal in the eyes of their parents. But all that, I found as I grew, were lies. Somehow parents get to love one child more that the other(s). It is not an unconscious disposition. It is a disposition attracted by the child. But the parent is wise and tries not to show, yet it shows anyway. I saw all these from my mother. I do cannot say she had more affection to me than my other siblings, but I know she was explicitly particular about me. And that is why I can say I miss her more. I see my brother offer a cheap smile. He doesn’t believe me. See? Everyone thinks he’s the one who’s loved most. Yet I know mama had something particular about me.
 It is no longer news. My mother is dead, a melancholic reality it is. The shock of my mother’s passing has remained with me. You do not understand, I know. Perhaps because you still have your mother alive, and for that I can pardon your naivety. Or as a Christian you would say “weep not like them that have no hope…” But my spirituality and Christianity has not taken away my human nature, and that is why I still cry. Of truth, just as the love of a mother is incomparable, so is the pain of her death. No death is as painful as a mother’s. If perchance yours is gone too and you do not feel the same way I do, it may be that you did not have my type of mother.
 My mother was a gift to us. She gave us everything she ever could, and more. I do not come from the kind of family you may call well-to-do. But mama made us to understand that life itself is transient; that we could become anything we want in spite of original background. The weight of her struggle to make our lives better was increasingly much on her. And the consequences did not hesitate: first it was the knee joint problem - arthritis, then the eye and…  Mama was a strong woman. So while we struggled medically to ensure she was not brought down by any of these ailments, she showed a lot of will and doggedness. It was almost her middle name. And that is why I couldn’t believe it when they told me it was two days cough that killed my ‘sweet’ mother. I didn’t think anything could kill mama, until God calls her. But mama, like all men was a pawn of fate. How cruel could death be! How spiteful! How vindictive! But just then as I cried, a friend reminded me of one of Job’s encounter with God in the Bible where God asked him – “…do you have any right to be angry…?” Truly, like Job, I do not have any right to be angry. As it is said, God giveth and He taketh. Blessed be His name forever.
I am not yet immune from tears and anguish from mama’s passing since the news stormed me like a thunderbolt. Like everyone, I know that death doesn’t need our permission when it comes neither does it knock on our door to announce its coming. But I didn’t think that mama would die without seeing my face again, without telling some things - those things the dying whisper the ‘beloved’ – or without even saying “goodbye.” But that was it. Mama was transferred to a better world without a word to her ‘beloved’. December 21st, 2013. It was to be a remarkable day. I was travelling home to celebrate Christmas with mama. It had always been joyful and fun. But all that did not happen again. The hope and joy of seeing mama was cruelly punctured while I was still on my way. I was still at Lokoja when the news came: “…Ik, as I speak to you now, mama is dead…” That was it. Mama was gone. My sweet mother is no more. Rest in peace mama! (subs).
My mother died a pure sacrifice, confirming more of her love for us. And like I wrote in the funeral oration “…She Died for Us.” This is what I know, and I believe it. I returned to Abuja today with the voices still echoing – “onwu mama ga ewetere unu iheoma, mama g’anuru unu ogu, she will fight for you.” I still here them and I believe it – mama has paid the price. Thank you mama, Adieu!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UZOAMAKA DORIS ANIUNOH AND HER “BALCONY” STORY

On Peter Obi: A letter to my friends who lost their cool

Tuface's Cowardice and Nigeria's Waning Democracy